Builder Sam here.
About ten years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a dollhouse that she had won in an auction.
I loved the house, but I was too intimidated to do anything with it. I decided to collect smaller dollhouses and work on those first so that I would not ruin this house.
A few years later, I came across another house exactly like this one (except for the side extension) and this one became Mr Crumble's bakery.
I found out that this particular house is called the Brookshire and was made by the Walmer company.
For my original Brookshire, I decided that I would make it into a front opening dollhouse (just like I did to Mr Crumble's bakery).
It seems that I tend to destroy all my houses and then rebuild them!!!!
I am sure my mother-in-law would be horrified if she saw what I did to the house she bought for me.
After it was all said and done I realized that it looked lopsided. I took it back to garage to undergo another "bashing" to add another side wing for balance.
For a long time the big old Brookshire has lived in the schoolroom. It became just another shelf to catch all the overflow books and other school stuff. It was also a perfect place for the cats to hang out and watch the kids do school projects.
About a year ago, I decided that the time had come to finish this house. I undercoated it, but having no inspiration, just put it back into the schoolroom where it has remained a catch-all shelf.
The schoolroom has undergone a series of changes and now the big Brookshire has been given the boot. It has moved into the entryway, and even though it has become a great sleeping place for the cats, it is time to turn it into a dollhouse.
(The actual front of the house has been stored in my closet forever!!!).
Time to get back to the drawing board.